Project Director MPWRH/PMU
Somalia: Strengthening Institutions for the Public Works Sector Project (SSIPWSP)
Terms of Reference
Position :Project Director – Somalia MPWRH and Project Management Unit (PMU)
Project Title:Somalia : Strengthening Institutions for the Public Works Sector Project (SSIPWSP)
Ministry:Ministry of Public Works Reconstruction and Housing (MPWRH)
Term :Position required for duration of the Project
Location :Mogadishu with occasional travel throughout Somalia
Remuneration:The monthly remuneration rate for this position will be established commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. It is envisaged that a monthly remuneration rate will be negotiated and that a ‘top up’ from the Project (funded by AfDB) will be provided to supplement the normal Government public service rate and conditions of employment for the position.
Project Management Unit
The MPWRH of Somalia and the AfDB has agreed to establish a Project Management Unit (PMU) which will be responsible for managing and providing oversight for the Project.
The Project’s objective is to improve capacity of the MPWRH and State-level authorities responsible for Public Works to enable them to plan, coordinate, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance works.
The PMU has the necessary powers to carry out the duties and obligations of the Ministry related to the implementation of the Project.
The PMU reports to the Director General of MPWRH and is mandated to provide expert project delivery services and advice to the Ministry and Somalia government departments and other agencies engaged in the delivery of complex, technically challenging and unique projects of national importance.
The PMU will consist of department heads from the MPWRH that will form the core management group for the Ministry and will include a Financial Manager/Administrator, M&E Officer (gender and youth empowerment background), Works/Operations Manager, HR Manager, Procurement Manager and Secretary. The Project Director will lead and manage this group to achieve the Project deliverables and the services that are to be provided by MPWRH for the preparation and implementation of government policy for Public Works.
Details of the advertised position are as follows:
Reports to :
• Chair Steering Committee/Director General of MPWRH
• To manage the day-to-day operations of the Ministry through the PMU to ensure that all management processes agreed between the MPWRH, UNOPS and AfDB for the Project is undertaken in a transparent and timely manner. PMU will also provide oversight of the Project deliverables and services provided by the Ministry to the public to ensure that all goods and services are delivered to agreed standards and government requirements. PMU will also ensure that all financial resources are used for their intended purpose and that the Project is financially managed in line with Government of Somalia, UNOPS and AfDB standards and international good practice.
Main Counterparts :
• Steering Committee members.
• Senior members of the PMU and MPWRH staff
• Senior officials of Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Planning, Ministry of Women and Human Rights Department and other government agencies consider as key stakeholders for the Project.
• AfDB partner representatives
• Senior officials of State governments associated with the Public Works Sector throughout Somalia.
• UNOPS responsible for the overall management and financial administration of the Project and project components.
Essential Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Knowledge :
• A university degree in business, finance, commerce, institutional capacity development or engineering preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent. The candidate should also have a professional designation in the associated technical field.
• At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in the private or public sector at a senior management level.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience of donor organisations especially their procurement systems, financial reporting requirements, cross-cutting policies and sustainable infrastructure
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with infrastructure stakeholders in Somalia
• Post-conflict experience working the Somali Ministry of Public Works on infrastructure development
• Demonstrated experience in leading multi-layered infrastructure frameworks for cooperation between government and donors
• Knowledge and experience of the government’s financial management information system(s).
• Commitment and demonstrated capacity to undertake activities in a participative, culturally sensitive and consultative manner that enables counterparts to actively participate and develop understandings and ownership.
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with and through a diverse range of groups at different organisational levels.
• Demonstrated capacity to work independently as well as contribute positively in a team environment.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to support overarching Government of Somalia and AfDB priorities such as promoting good governance objectives, women rights and youth employment.
• High standards of integrity, professionalism and accountability and the ability to uphold the credibility of, and contribute to, the success of the PMU and the Project.
• Competence with a range of computer software programs including Microsoft office, and communications using the Internet.
• Fluency in English and Somali both written and verbal is required.
Desirable Qualifications, Experience Skills and Knowledge : • Work experience of Somalia country context and with Government of Somalia.
• Good knowledge of donor organisations, their financial sector policies, procurement rules and project implementation requirements.
Indicative Duties :
• Primarily responsible for monitoring the implementation of all project activities designated under the PMU responsibility and for the day to day management of MPWRH.
• Management of the PMU team to result in an effective and efficient oversight and Ministry management unit.
• Prepare implementation programs for each project activity to be carried out by PMU and closely monitor the implementation to ensure key milestones are accomplished.
• Assist and advise to ensure that all Ministry assigned tasks to the government staff meets good practice and good governance standards.
• Preparation of rolling projections for all Ministerial activities and monitoring their implementation.
• Preparing all reports required for discussion by the Steering Committee.
• Preparation of monthly, quarterly and other reports required for the Project and the Ministry in line with the requirements of AfDB and UNOPS.
• Take a prominent role to establish systems to ensure strong financial, management and administration controls and validation measures are in place to reduce the risks of fraud and misuse of resources.
• Prepare an annual report covering all PMU activities.
The following criteria will be used to assess a candidate’s suitability for the position of PMU and MPWRH Project Director, as well as the information presented in the application documents such as application letter, CV and any supporting documents submitted. When considering candidates, UNOPS HR Advisor will seek evidence of performance against each of the criteria and advise the MPWRH accordingly.
1. Demonstrated ability to apply strategic thinking, initiative and decision making skills around performance, monitoring and evaluation or major infrastructure project delivery issues.
2. Proven ability to participate in multi-disciplinary teams and the ability to share and disseminate technical skills to those you are working with.
3. It is expected that shortlisted applicants will be able to describe their awareness of the role’s key requirements and their own awareness of important features of managing development partner resources.
4. Outline your qualifications, skills, knowledge and experience in performance and quality assessment, monitoring and evaluation of major infrastructure projects supported by donors, particularly with implementing large-scale, complex and/or politically-sensitive projects.
5. The MPWRH recruitment panel will assess candidates’ communication skills indirectly from their application and interview performance. A written test may be carried out if required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and please make sure you copy miss Mona, cc Mona.email@example.com. Closing date by 18th March, 2017 @5:00pm. Kindly indicate “Project Director MPWRH – Mogadishu, Somalia” on the subject line when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.